Stevenage crash which has left woman critical in hospital to be investigated by IPCC
- Credit: Archant
An investigation will be carried out by the Independent Police Complaints Commission after a car crash in Stevenage which has left a woman critically ill in hospital.
The collision – involving a white BMW convertible – happened shortly before 1am on Friday in Clovelly Way in the town, with the road subsequently closed.
A woman in her 20s was taken to Stevenage’s Lister Hospital with serious injuries and remains in a critical but stable condition.
A short time before the collision, officers had signalled for the BMW to stop as it was leaving Stevenage Leisure Park – but police say it had failed to do so and had driven off out of sight.
A spokeswoman for the force has said there would be an IPCC investigation as a “mandatory referral” because police had “some contact” with the BMW before the crash.
You may also want to watch:
Incidents such as these are referred to the IPCC as a matter of course.
Anyone with information about the collision is asked to contact Herts police via the non-emergency number 101, quoting ISR 14 of August 11.
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 7 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 8 Freedom Day: Events to go ahead but hospitality will be affected, says BID manager
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Survivors Against Domestic Abuse opens 23rd safe space as demand for services rises