Stevenage crash which has left woman critical in hospital to be investigated by IPCC
- Credit: Archant
An investigation will be carried out by the Independent Police Complaints Commission after a car crash in Stevenage which has left a woman critically ill in hospital.
The collision – involving a white BMW convertible – happened shortly before 1am on Friday in Clovelly Way in the town, with the road subsequently closed.
A woman in her 20s was taken to Stevenage’s Lister Hospital with serious injuries and remains in a critical but stable condition.
A short time before the collision, officers had signalled for the BMW to stop as it was leaving Stevenage Leisure Park – but police say it had failed to do so and had driven off out of sight.
A spokeswoman for the force has said there would be an IPCC investigation as a “mandatory referral” because police had “some contact” with the BMW before the crash.
Incidents such as these are referred to the IPCC as a matter of course.
Anyone with information about the collision is asked to contact Herts police via the non-emergency number 101, quoting ISR 14 of August 11.
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 2 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 3 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 4 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 5 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 6 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 7 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 8 Anti-spiking campaign launched at Old Town pub
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event