Spate of thefts prompts warning
POLICE are warning motorbike and moped owners to be extra vigilant about security after 10 thefts of bikes in the last month in Stevenage.
Det Insp Gary Atkinson said: “We have seen a spate of this type of offence and just want to raise people’s awareness to be extra careful.
“Security is so important in preventing your bike from being taken. Thieves are eagle-eyed in spotting a lapse in security and this makes your bike vulnerable to being taken.’
He added: “If you have a bike, make sure it is stored out of view, preferably in a locked and alarmed shed or garage.
“It’s easy to get in and not have time to lock up your bike but those few minutes could be time well spent if it prevents it from being taken.
You may also want to watch:
“We are asking if anyone has any information about these crimes, or if you’ve been offered a moped or motorbike through an unusual source, to get in touch by calling our non emergency number 0845 33 00 222 and quoting crime reference E1/10/5518.
“Alternatively you can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. All information will be treated in the strictest confidence.”
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 3 Police officer's 'text book first aid' saves life of elderly man
- 4 Help transform overgrown land into outdoor classroom
- 5 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 6 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 7 Rotheram shines on dreary day as Datchworth dump Dunstable
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 9 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
* An Aprilia motorbike and four pedal cycles were stolen from a lock-up garage in Ferrier Road.
* An orange and grey Peugeot moped was taken from outside a house in Longcroft Road. It was later found burned out in Ryecroft.
* A black and chrome Triumph Bonny motorbike disappeared from a carport in Mendip Way.
* A silver Piaggio moped was stolen from the driveway of a property in Gonville Crescent. It was later found abandoned in Featherston Road.
* A green Suzuki motorbike was taken from Badgers Close. The thieves removed a chain that had been put through the front wheel. However, the bike was later found abandoned on Six Hills Way and has now been returned to its owner.
* A black Aprilia moped was stolen from a car park in Woolners Way.
* A black motorcycle went missing from the garden of a house in Hadwell Close.
* A blue Peugeot moped was stolen from a driveway of a property in Keats Close.
* A blue and white Suzuki motorbike was taken from outside The Coach and Horses pub in High Street.
* A Yamaha moped was stolen from outside a house in Broadwater Crescent.