Snow causes crashes and traffic chaos across Comet country
SNOW and ice has caused traffic chaos this morning (Wednesday) with a number of crashes bringing the roads to a standstill.
The first incident of the morning came just after midnight when a man was taken to hospital with minor injuries after his car flipped over while travelling northbound on the A1(M), just past Junction 7 for Stevenage.
Emergency services were then called to Beech Hill (A505) near the junction for Lilley at 3.32am as a Toyota Aygo crashed, ending up on its side at the top of the hill.
A man was treated at the scene with minor injuries and the road was temporarily closed, before reopening at 5.15am.
In Stevenage, a Ford Fiesta and a Ford Focus collided on Fairlands Way near the Grace Way roundabout at 7.06am, with the Fiesta hitting a lamppost.
You may also want to watch:
Less than 30 minutes later a Mercedes ended up in a field after reportedly trying to avoid a fallen tree in Hitchin Road, Codicote.
Police then attended another Stevenage incident in Gunnels Wood Road at 7.51am after a silver Citroen Xara crashed, followed by another minor collision involving two cars in Chells Way at 8.11am.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 6 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 7 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
At the same time, a road was blocked in Hollow Lane, Hitchin, after a bus skidded into a BMW which had become stuck on the hill.
A Vauxhall Corsa ended up in a ditch after it went off the road at 8.13am on London Road (B656), St Ippolyts, just past the Rusty Gun pub.
Trains have not fared much better with a revised timetable still in place and widespread cancellations and delays for trains travelling north from London King’s Cross to Peterborough, affecting stations including Stevenage, Hitchin and Arlesey.
For service updates and the revised timetable visit www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/plan-your-journey/major-disruption/