Six hospitalised with carbon monoxide poisoning near Hitchin

SIX people were hospitalised with carbon monoxide poisoning after taking their barbecue inside their house for warmth.

The incident happened yesterday (Monday) in Gosmore, near Hitchin.

Six people took the small charcoal barbecue into a conservatory in a property in Gosmore Road, after using it for cooking.

Ambulance and fire crews attended the scene, after reports that a man in his 50s had collapsed.

A further five people had fallen ill, but were fully concious and breathing normally when the emergency services arrived.

All six were taken to Lister Hospital for further treatment.

An ambulance service spokesman said: “Unfortunately at this time of year, we do start to see incidents relating to the use of charcoal barbecues and want to take this opportunity to emphatically warn people to use them safely and properly.

Most Read

“Last July we were called to a woman who sadly died after inhaling carbon monoxide fumes from a barbecue in her tent in Norfolk and we do not want to see a repeat of that tragedy.

“Please make absolutely sure your barbecue is used and stored, even after the heat has died down, in a clear open space to ensure enough ventilation.”

Hitchin Fire Station watch commander Graeme Cheshire also attended the incident.

“Any burning substance produces a number of poisonous gases, including carbon monoxide, which is virtually undetectable to human senses,” he said.

“We also strongly recommend that all chimney flues are swept regularly to minimise the risk of a chimney fire and the build up of poisonous gases.”

The fire service is encouraging people to buy a carbon monoxide detector to use alongside smoke detectors, and to check weekly that they are working.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter