Siemens chosen as preferred bidder for £200 million Great Northern train fleet to be used on Stevenage and Letchworth routes to Moorgate
- Credit: Archant
Siemens has been put forward as the preferred bidder for a £200 million fleet of new air-conditioned trains which will run to and from Stevenage and Letchworth to Moorgate.
Govia Thameslink Railway, which operates the Great Northern service, says the 25 six-carriage trains will give passengers a ‘superior’ journey once they come into service on routes to Moorgate by the end of 2018.
The fleet, a variant of the Class 700 Desiro City which is being built for the new Thameslink service, will replace Class 313 trains built in 1976/77, will also serve passengers travelling between Welwyn/Hertford to Moorgate in central London.
Following a consultating with passenger groups and stakeholders train features include full width gangways, air-conditioning, real-time passenger information and power points throughout
The fleet is an investment worth more than £200 million, and Govia will run a financial competition to provide the capital funding..
You may also want to watch:
The rail operator’s fleet director, Gerry McFadden, said: “Coupled with the seven-day-a-week service to Moorgate that we started last month, these new trains will give our passengers a superior, modern comfortable journey with more capacity, improved reliability, air conditioning and passenger information systems that can be remotely updated to provide real-time information.
“This is just one of four new train fleets we’re bringing in, introducing almost 1,400 new train carriages to the network, and we’re delighted to be appointing Siemens as our preferred bidder.”
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 7 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
- 10 Do you recognise these people?
Dr Jochen Eickhol from Siemens’ mobility division said: “Siemens is delighted to be appointed preferred bidder to replace the Class 313 Moorgate trains.
“We are looking forward to finalising the contract later this year.”