Rush hour delays as Sonisphere A1M closure takes effect
Backed up traffic caused delays on the A1M and approach roads this morning as the closure of Junction 7 for Sonisphere Festival from 6am was compounded by an accident and lorry debris on the motorway.
A road traffic collision just south of Junction 8 at 6.30am left a vehicle obstructing the carriageway, backing up traffic.
Traffic was moving again by 7am. The vehicle was recovered at 7.20am.
No-one was hurt in the accident.
Traffic heading into Stevenage was directed off the motorway at Junction 8, causing tailbacks around the junction throughout the rush hour.
You may also want to watch:
Debris from a lorry in the middle of the southbound carriageway south of Junction 10 caused problems for drivers at around 9.45am. This has now been cleared.
Police said traffic is now flowing freely, but anticipate a build up of festival traffic in the area preparing to enter the Sonisphere Festival site in Knebworth Park when the gates open at 3pm.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 4 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?