Rush hour delays as Sonisphere A1M closure takes effect
Backed up traffic caused delays on the A1M and approach roads this morning as the closure of Junction 7 for Sonisphere Festival from 6am was compounded by an accident and lorry debris on the motorway.
A road traffic collision just south of Junction 8 at 6.30am left a vehicle obstructing the carriageway, backing up traffic.
Traffic was moving again by 7am. The vehicle was recovered at 7.20am.
No-one was hurt in the accident.
Traffic heading into Stevenage was directed off the motorway at Junction 8, causing tailbacks around the junction throughout the rush hour.
Debris from a lorry in the middle of the southbound carriageway south of Junction 10 caused problems for drivers at around 9.45am. This has now been cleared.
Police said traffic is now flowing freely, but anticipate a build up of festival traffic in the area preparing to enter the Sonisphere Festival site in Knebworth Park when the gates open at 3pm.
- 1 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 2 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 3 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 4 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 5 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 8 Enter Shikari to play Club 85 gig in Hitchin as part of The National Lottery’s Revive Live Tour
- 9 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week
- 10 Vegan market returns for final 2021 trade with festive twist