Police warning to motorists after more than 40 drivers caught using mobile phones to capture M1 lorry crash
- Credit: Archant
Motorists are being warned not to use their mobile phones while driving after more than 40 people were caught using them to take pictures of a crash on the M1 this morning.
Bedfordshire Police has issued the warning after seeing 43 people videoing or taking pictures of the aftermath of a lorry crash which damaged the central reservation.
Nobody was seriously injured in the crash, which occurred at 6.40am between Junction 11-12 and has shut two lanes northbound and one southbound, but PC Mark West says motorists using their phones are putting their own and other people’s lives at risk.
“In just one hour we saw 43 people using their mobile phones while driving and attempting to take photos or videos of the collision,” said PC West from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, and Hertfordshire Roads Policing Unit.
“These irresponsible people, a mix of both car and lorry drivers, put their own lives and the lives of others at risk by using a phone at the wheel, and can expect a notice of intended prosecution to land on their door step imminently.
“Using a mobile phone is one of the fatal four, along with drink-driving, failing to wear a seatbelt, and speeding, and is never acceptable. That’s why we’re working hard to clamp down on these offences and making the roads of Bedfordshire safer for everyone.”
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 4 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 5 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 6 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
- 7 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 8 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 9 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 10 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans