Police confirm fatality after person struck by a train at Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
British Transport Police have confirmed that a person was pronounced dead at the scene after being struck by a train at Stevenage railway station this morning.
A BTP spokeswoman said: “Officers were called to Stevenage rail station following reports of a person struck by a train. The call came into police at 10.36am.
“Officers attended alongside paramedics, sadly the person was pronounced dead at the scene. They will now work to identify the person and inform their family.
“The incident is not currently being treated as suspicious. A file will be prepared for the coroner.”
All lines through Stevenage are currently blocked. Train services may be cancelled, delayed or revised by up to an hour – with Great Northern expecting disruption between Stevenage and Peterborough until at least 1pm.
You may also want to watch:
UPDATE 11.40am: Virgin Trains East Coast has tweeted to say one line has now reopened, but predict disruption until 2pm.
For more information on Great Northern services see greatnorthernrail.com/travel-information/plan-your-journey/service-updates.
For Virgin Trains East Coast visit www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/travel-information/travel-alerts.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 5 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 6 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 9 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 10 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV