Pair rescued from flat in ‘accidental’ Stevenage Old Town fire
- Credit: Archant
Two people were rescued from their homes after a sizeable blaze broke out in Stevenage Old Town on Friday night, it has emerged.
Herts Fire and Rescue Service has today confirmed the fire which destroyed a shed in Middle Row about 8.30pm is not being treated as suspicious.
A spokesman for the fire service said the blaze is being treated as “accidental”, but confirmed that two people living in nearby flats had to be rescued by crews because the smoke was threatening to engulf their homes.
Flames took hold at one of the busiest times for nightlife in the Old Town, with pictures and posts about it spreading across social media like wildfire.
Jackie Tyler posted on the Comet’s Facebook page: “The fire service did an amazing job. One minute it was blazing away with high flames licking the adjacent building but as soon as they got to work it was under control. Pleased for public safety.”
You may also want to watch:
Crews from Stevenage and Baldock & Letchworth attended, and reported the outbuilding was “well alight”, but they quickly brought it under control.
Roads were closed in the area temporarily and cordons were in place.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 8 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 9 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation