Own a car with start-stop? Get the right battery
- Credit: Archant
Euro Car Parts, official battery supplier to the RAC, has reported a 100 per cent year-on-year increase in sales of the absorbent glass mat (AGM) and enhanced flooded battery (EFB) types for cars with start-stop systems.
Green technologies such as start-stop and regenerative braking are now standard on 60 per cent of new cars built in Europe, so it is imperative that replacement batteries can cope with the continuous on/off action.
Euro Car Parts has one of the leading AGM and EFB ranges in the UK, including household names such as Bosch, Duracell and Exide, and its own premium aftermarket brand, Lion. It sells a million automotive batteries a year and covers all popular makes and models, even developing an EFB unit specifically for the 2012 Nissan Qashqai 1.6 diesel.
Martin Gray, chief executive officer of Euro Car Parts, said: “It is no longer a case of any old battery will do. It is about choosing the right battery. If you fit an incorrect battery to a car with start-stop, it might work initially but certain systems will soon start failing, starting with things like the radio, air con and electric windows, and then more vital systems, such as the start-stop function itself.
“AGM and EFB units have a longer service life than standard batteries and are designed to power the electrics when the engine is in sleep mode, even when a large number of systems are operating. We have invested in AGM and EFB training for over 2,000 of our staff and we need to get the message out that start-stop is a game changer for replacement batteries.”
You may also want to watch:
Motorists can buy direct from Euro Car Parts, either via eurocarparts.com or in-store.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 3 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 4 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 5 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 6 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 8 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 9 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed