North East Beds MP Alistair Burt hits out at ‘unacceptable’ rail disruption
- Credit: Archant
North East Bedfordshire MP Alistair Burt has hit out at the “unacceptable disruption” to railway services following the introduction of the new timetable.
Mr Burt has confirmed that he and other MPs had contacted the Transport Secretary Chris Grayling about the cancellations, delays and staff shortages on Govia Thameslink services that have caused uproar.
He said: “I have had contact with the Secretary of State over the weekend to confirm that he and his department are heavily pressing those involved to get this sorted speedily.
“The new timetables have been envisaged for months, and local MPs see no reason for the current excuses covering so many trains.
“The odd hiccup in a new timetable is understandable but wholescale cancellations and being unable to say whether trains will run or not is simply not acceptable.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Grayling has confirmed that a meeting will be arranged for next week to allow MPs to be briefed on the detail of what has gone wrong and how it is being solved.
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 3 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 9 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 10 Delta variant makes up more than half of new cases across Herts areas