Multi-million pound improvement works on A1(M) near Stevenage set to remove bottleneck
- Credit: Archant
Multi-million pound improvement works aimed at removing a ‘bottleneck’ on the A1(M) near Stevenage have been finished.
Highways England completed the £4.5 million works to the existing northbound carriageway and slip roads of Junction 6 for Welwyn.
These included a new road surface, new road markings, new safety fencing and improved drainage.
The improvements started in December and have changed the road’s layout as it heads toward Junction 7 for Stevenage.
Highways England project manager Mark Saunders said: “The new layout has improved this busy junction as lane one now leaves the motorway at Junction 6 and lanes two and three continue on to Junction 7. This has removed the bottleneck within the junction where lanes two and three used to merge.
“The on-slip has been extended to give a greater distance for traffic to merge with existing A1(M) traffic.
“The improvements are substantially complete and we’ll be carrying out some finishing off works between now and mid-summer to install the new overhead gantry signs.”
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 5 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 6 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 7 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 8 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 9 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 10 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
The road will be closed fully overnight for two nights and there will be some overnight hard shoulder and lane one closures in order to erect the new gantries. Further details will be announced nearer to the time.
• What do you think about the improvement works on the road? Will the really ease congestion? Call the Comet’s news desk on 01438 866200 or email email@example.com and tell us your views.