Man killed in A1(M) crash
- Credit: Archant
A MAN involved in a crash on the A1(M) this morning (Friday) has died.
Police have confirmed that a motorcyclist whose bike collided with a silver Ford Focus just prior to the southbound junction 3 exit sliproad died at the scene.
Emergency services were called at about 8.40am and the man, who has not yet been named, was first treated by an off-duty doctor, nurse and paramedic before ambulances and a Herts Air Ambulance arrived to assist.
East of England Ambulance spokesman Gary Sanderson, who was at the scene, said: “First and foremost our thoughts are firmly with the man’s family at this tragic time.
“Following extensive treatment by land and air ambulance crews, the man was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after.”
You may also want to watch:
The motorway was shut southbound between junctions 4-3 for almost five hours before reopening just before 1.30pm.
A police spokesman said 18 drivers had been issued penalty notices for driving back up the entry sliproad in the wrong direction in a bid to avoid traffic, which initially was at a standstill up to junction 7 for Stevenage.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
- 10 Police alerted to injured man in Stevenage town centre