Man in trauma unit after A1(M) tree crash
- Credit: Archant
A MAN is in a serious condition in a hospital trauma unit after his car left the A1(M) and collided with trees in the early hours of this morning (Thursday).
Emergency services were called at about 1.15am after reports that a Ford Focus had left the motorway on the northbound carriageway between junction 6 for Welwyn and junction 7 for Stevenage.
The car collided with trees before coming to a stop on a grass verge.
It took firefighters half an hour to free the man from the vehicle using two sets of cutting equipment, before he was stabilised by paramedics.
The man, who is in his 20s, was initially taken to Lister Hospital in Stevenage prior to being transferred at 4.30am to a specialist trauma centre at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge.
You may also want to watch:
The A1(M) was shut northbound following the crash, fully reopening at 5.45am.
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 4 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool