Man hospitalised in one of five crashes on A1(M)
- Credit: Archant
A man has been hospitalised in one of five crashes on the A1(M) last night (Thursday).
Emergency services were called to southbound carriageway of the motorway just past junction 8 for Stevenage at 7.38pm.
The driver of a silver Ford Focus was taken to Lister Hospital in Stevenage with minor back injuries, with the junction 8 slip road temporarily closed.
The road was clear by 9.40pm.
The crash followed four earlier incidents on the same stretch of motorway between 5.35pm and 6.30pm, involving 11 vehicles in total.
The collision at 6.30pm involved a grey Nissan Micra and a black Vauxhall Vectra at junction 8, again going southbound.
Both lanes were blocked and at 7pm police closed the southbound sliproad at junction 9 for Letchworth Gate.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 5 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 6 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 7 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 8 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 9 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 10 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
The damaged cars were moved onto the hard shoulder to await recovery and by 7.30pm traffic was slowly moving.
As a result of the collision, traffic barriers on the motorway were damaged.
No one was seriously injured in the crash.