Man hospitalised in one of five crashes on A1(M)
- Credit: Archant
A man has been hospitalised in one of five crashes on the A1(M) last night (Thursday).
Emergency services were called to southbound carriageway of the motorway just past junction 8 for Stevenage at 7.38pm.
The driver of a silver Ford Focus was taken to Lister Hospital in Stevenage with minor back injuries, with the junction 8 slip road temporarily closed.
The road was clear by 9.40pm.
The crash followed four earlier incidents on the same stretch of motorway between 5.35pm and 6.30pm, involving 11 vehicles in total.
You may also want to watch:
The collision at 6.30pm involved a grey Nissan Micra and a black Vauxhall Vectra at junction 8, again going southbound.
Both lanes were blocked and at 7pm police closed the southbound sliproad at junction 9 for Letchworth Gate.
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 3 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 4 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 5 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 6 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 7 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 8 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 9 National charity challenge for Samaritans makes its way through Hitchin
- 10 Poppy Fletcher makes history by signing for Stevenage women
The damaged cars were moved onto the hard shoulder to await recovery and by 7.30pm traffic was slowly moving.
As a result of the collision, traffic barriers on the motorway were damaged.
No one was seriously injured in the crash.