Man hospitalised after car overturns on A1(M) amid Sonisphere traffic delays
- Credit: Archant
A man has been hospitalised following an accident on the A1(M) this morning (Thursday) amid traffic delays related to a music festival.
Police and ambulance crews were called to the scene between southbound junctions 6 and 5 following reports of an overturned car. The driver, a man described as being in his 20s, was taken to Stevenage’s Lister Hospital with minor injuries.
Traffic delays were expected due to the large number of festival-goers on the road attending this year’s Sonisphere show at Knebworth.
The rock festival typically attracts more than 50,000 people and organisers are expecting similar numbers for this year’s show, headlined by The Prodigy, Iron Maiden and Metallica.
Festival-goers will need to use junction 7 of the the A1(M) at Stevenage to access the site, with motorists unable to head north from the junction from 5am today until 3pm on Monday.
Northbound traffic can use junction 7 to left turn into the venue, while those travelling south should leave the motorway at junction 8 for Stevenage and go along the A602 Hitchin Road, A1072 Gunnels Wood Road and A602 Broadhall Way.
Westbound traffic should use the A602 to get to the turning for the venue at the roundabout for junction 7 of the A1(M) and those heading eastbound should use the A602 to A1(M) at junction 8 then follow the same route as southbound traffic.
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 2 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 3 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 4 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 5 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 6 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 7 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 8 Anti-spiking campaign launched at Old Town pub
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
To leave the venue motorists should head past the Novotel Stevenage and onto the roundabout for the A1(M) at junction 7 to head southbound or follow signs for junction 8 to head north.
Alternatively, drivers can leave the site through Deer Gate and onto Old Knebworth Lane, then the B197 London Road and follow signs to either Stevenage A1(M) junction.