Man charged after stand-off with police outside Spirella Building in Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
A 47-year-old man has been charged after a stand-off with the police outside the Spirella Building in Letchworth last week.
John Wootton was charged with the possession of a bladed article in public and is due to appear at Stevenage Magistrates Court next week.
Emergency Services were called to the car park of the Spirella Building at about 2.15pm on Thursday, November 27, by a member of the public concerned about the ‘welfare of a man’ at the entrance of the building.
Police cordoned off the entrance to the building for about three hours.
Nigel Webb posted on Twitter: “Massive #police presence at #Spirella building in #Letchworth. Car park blocked off by at least eight squad cars.”
And @DugganRL said: “Police outside the Spirella building in #Letchworth, man with a knife and police blocking the entrance.”
Mr Wootton of Eaton Socon in Cambridgeshire has been bailed ahead of the hearing on Tuesday.
- 1 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with lavish launch event
- 2 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 3 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 4 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 5 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 6 Care home excited to open its doors to new residents
- 7 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 8 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 9 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 10 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000