Man arrested after girl, 10, dies in Stevenage crash
A YOUNG girl has died after she was in collision with a car in Stevenage yesterday afternoon (Tuesday).
Emergency services were called to Monkswood Way at around 4pm, following reports that a 10-year-old girl had been in collision with a white Mercedes at the pedestrian crossing opposite Asda.
The girl, from Stevenage, was taken to Lister Hospital where she died.
Ambulance service spokesman Gary Sanderson, who attended the incident, said: “First and foremost our thoughts are with the girl’s family at this tragic time.
“A team of paramedics rapidly treated, stabilised and immobilised her at the roadside before she was conveyed to an awaiting trauma team at Lister Hospital in Stevenage where she died.”
The road was closed for just under three hours while investigations took place and police are now appealing for witnesses to the incident.
A 44-year-old man arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving has been released on police bail.
- 1 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 2 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 3 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 4 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 5 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 6 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 7 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 8 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 9 Anti-spiking campaign launched at Old Town pub
- 10 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
PC Robert Hauxwell, who is investigating, said: “There were a lot of vehicles in the area at the time and I would like to appeal to anyone who saw what happened to contact police.
“If you were travelling in the opposite direction heading towards town or if you were queuing to turn in to Asda and saw anything which would assist our investigation please call.
“I would also like to hear from any other pedestrians in the area at the time.”
If you have any information please contact PC Hauxwell on 0845 33 00 222.