Major train delays on Great Northern line between Hitchin and Cambridge after emergency services called to incident near Shepreth
- Credit: Archant
There are major delays on the Great Northern line tonight between Hitchin and Cambridge after an incident near Shepreth stopped trains travelling in either direction.
Emergency services are dealing with what is only being described as an ‘incident’ near Shepreth, which has resulted in trains being cancelled and a rail replacement bus service operating between Royston and Cambridge in both directions.
Lines are expected to reopen shortly but passengers face delays until at least 9.15pm tonight, with journey times likely to be extended by up to 30 minutes.
Trains are running between London King’s Cross and Royston, as well as between Cambridge and Kings Lynn – but not between Royston and Cambridge.
Passengers may also use Abellio Greater Anglia and London Underground on any reasonable routes.
On the roads, the A10 was also reportedly shut at Foxton Level Crossing.
• UPDATE 7.47pm: Lines have reopened but delays are still expected for some time.
- 1 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with lavish launch event
- 2 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 3 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 4 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 5 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 6 Care home excited to open its doors to new residents
- 7 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 8 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 9 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 10 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
For the latest updates follow @GNRailUK and use the hashtag #Shepreth on Twitter.