Major train delays between Stevenage and London leave passengers stranded
- Credit: Archant
Major train delays between Stevenage and London caused by station closures have left many passengers stranded.
Due to over-running engineering work at London King’s Cross railway station, customers were advised not to travel today and reduced services were moved to Finsbury Park overground station.
But the north London station was temporarily closed this morning because of overcrowding, before reopening this afternoon with a queueing system which caused delays to passengers.
Some rail users took to Twitter to vent their frustration at the train delays.
Lesley Ashmall tweeted: “Queueing at Stevenage to get to Finsbury Park. People opposite want to get off here, but they’re not allowed to #railchaos.”
Imran Hasnain posted: “Stuck on a train at Stevenage queueing for Finsbury Park with no info at all. Embarrassingly poor service.”
Victoria Thompson said: “I’m stuck on a train at Stevenage. If things get really bad I’m going to have to get the Christmas ham out of my suitcase.”
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 2 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 3 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 4 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 5 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 6 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 7 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 8 Anti-spiking campaign launched at Old Town pub
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 Tens of thousands donated to charity by Hitchin-based construction company
A spokesman for Network Rail said: “Passengers travelling to and from London King’s Cross are advised to travel on another day if at all possible.
“Train services are not able to travel beyond Finsbury Park today as planned track improvement work is taking longer to complete than anticipated. We apologise to passengers for this disruption. Tickets will be valid on Sunday services.
“Finsbury Park overground station was closed for safety reasons earlier today as significant crowds were gathering on the platforms. The limited, amended train has resumed but passengers are advised to amend their travel plans if possible.”