Major train delays between Stevenage and London leave passengers stranded
- Credit: Archant
Major train delays between Stevenage and London caused by station closures have left many passengers stranded.
Due to over-running engineering work at London King’s Cross railway station, customers were advised not to travel today and reduced services were moved to Finsbury Park overground station.
But the north London station was temporarily closed this morning because of overcrowding, before reopening this afternoon with a queueing system which caused delays to passengers.
Some rail users took to Twitter to vent their frustration at the train delays.
Lesley Ashmall tweeted: “Queueing at Stevenage to get to Finsbury Park. People opposite want to get off here, but they’re not allowed to #railchaos.”
You may also want to watch:
Imran Hasnain posted: “Stuck on a train at Stevenage queueing for Finsbury Park with no info at all. Embarrassingly poor service.”
Victoria Thompson said: “I’m stuck on a train at Stevenage. If things get really bad I’m going to have to get the Christmas ham out of my suitcase.”
- 1 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 2 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 3 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 4 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 5 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 6 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award
- 7 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 8 Help transform overgrown land into outdoor classroom
- 9 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
- 10 Stevenage Borough Juniors crowned national champions after tense victory
A spokesman for Network Rail said: “Passengers travelling to and from London King’s Cross are advised to travel on another day if at all possible.
“Train services are not able to travel beyond Finsbury Park today as planned track improvement work is taking longer to complete than anticipated. We apologise to passengers for this disruption. Tickets will be valid on Sunday services.
“Finsbury Park overground station was closed for safety reasons earlier today as significant crowds were gathering on the platforms. The limited, amended train has resumed but passengers are advised to amend their travel plans if possible.”