Luton Airport expansion consultation delayed
A PUBLIC consultation launched to get people’s views on the proposed expansion of Luton Airport has been delayed by a week.
London Luton Airport Limited (LLAL) and Luton Borough Council announced last month that they would be looking to double the capacity of the airport up to 18m passenger per annum, with a view to submitting a planning application in April.
A six-week public consultation which was due to start yesterday (Monday) was postponed, and will now begin next Monday instead.
A number of exhibitions are to be held in conjunction with the consultation, but the one at Breachwood Green has now been cancelled. The event was due to be held this Friday in the village hall, but will now be held on Monday, March 5.
A spokesman for LLAL said: “As part of a full ongoing pre-application process, more time is needed for discussions with planning officers at Luton Borough Council to continue.
“We are sorry for this short delay and any inconvenience that it may cause.
“We will work hard to ensure that everyone still has the maximum opportunity to understand our proposals to optimise the airport, create new job opportunities and attract business to the area and to express their views.”
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 3 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 4 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 5 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 6 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 7 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 8 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 9 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 10 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
The proposals have attracted criticism from neighbouring district and parish councils, as well as action groups and councillors.
They claim that the expansion will cause traffic, noise and pollution problems in North Herts. There is also a dispute over the employment figures that LLAL has said the expansion will create.
The consultation, when it launches, can be accessed by visiting www.futureLuToN.co.uk