Long delays on A1(M) southbound between Letchworth and Welwyn after breakdown
- Credit: Archant
There are delays of up to an hour and a half on the A1(M) southbound this morning between Letchworth and Welwyn after a lorry breakdown.
The breakdown, between Junction 7 for Stevenage and Junction 6 for Welwyn, has resulted in the inside lane being closed.
Traffic England indicates that it expects normal traffic conditions to return by 9.30am, with “delays of one-and-a-half hours against expected traffic”.
The tailbacks go back beyond Junction 9, for Letchworth Gate. There are also long queues coming onto the Junction 7 southbound slip-road in Stevenage, going back onto Gunnels Wood Road and along the A602 as far as the Shephall Way roundabout.
There are also delays coming onto the motorway at Junction 8, with queues on the A602 coming from Hitchin and backing up into Stevenage along the A602 and up Graveley Road into North Road.
Elsewhere on the roads, there is slow and queuing traffic in both directions in Baldock, either side of where Station Road meets Clothall Road.
Traffic coming into Stevenage Old Town from the north, via North Road, is slow all the way back to Graveley Road.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 5 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 6 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 7 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 8 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 9 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 10 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
The B197 London Road/Stevenage Road between Woolmer Green and Stevenage, through Knebworth, also has heavy traffic due to the A1(M) delays.
In Hitchin, traffic is slow on the A505 towards Luton, along the A602 Park Way and Stevenage Road, and coming onto the B655 Pirton Road towards Hexton and Barton-le-Clay.