Letchworth Gate A1(M) exit road to shut for safety reasons
A CRASH hotspot will shut tomorrow morning (Thursday) for up to three weeks while safety investigations take place.
The southbound A1(M) exit road at the Letchworth Gate junction roundabout will close at 6am tomorrow for up to 21 days after a number of collisions have damaged a safety barrier.
The entry slip road to the A1(M) from the westbound A505 at junction 9 will remain open with diversion signs in place to guide traffic.
“There have been several incidents where vehicles have collided with the safety barrier on the exit road and the foundations of the barrier have become unstable,” said Chris Shaw, Highways Agency project manager.
“We are working closely with Hertfordshire County Council and Hertfordshire police to investigate the cause of these collisions and to find a permanent solution to avoid further problems occurring. But safety of all road users is our top priority and so while those investigations continue the exit road will be closed to prevent the risk of further collisions.
“This will directly affect drivers joining the southbound A1(M) from the junction 9 roundabout. We thank drivers for their patience while we carry out these essential investigations.”
Traffic travelling from Letchworth GC to join the A1(M) southbound will be diverted on to the A505 eastbound to the next roundabout, where it can then head back towards the A1(M) and join it from the A505 slip road.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Stevenage appoint former MK Dons boss Paul Tisdale as their new manager
- 3 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 4 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 5 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 6 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 7 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 8 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 9 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 10 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
The closure follows repeated concerns about the left turning into Letchworth GC after exiting the northbound A1(M) junction 9, with police labelling the design as “flawed”.