Letchworth Gate A1(M) exit road to shut for safety reasons
A CRASH hotspot will shut tomorrow morning (Thursday) for up to three weeks while safety investigations take place.
The southbound A1(M) exit road at the Letchworth Gate junction roundabout will close at 6am tomorrow for up to 21 days after a number of collisions have damaged a safety barrier.
The entry slip road to the A1(M) from the westbound A505 at junction 9 will remain open with diversion signs in place to guide traffic.
“There have been several incidents where vehicles have collided with the safety barrier on the exit road and the foundations of the barrier have become unstable,” said Chris Shaw, Highways Agency project manager.
“We are working closely with Hertfordshire County Council and Hertfordshire police to investigate the cause of these collisions and to find a permanent solution to avoid further problems occurring. But safety of all road users is our top priority and so while those investigations continue the exit road will be closed to prevent the risk of further collisions.
You may also want to watch:
“This will directly affect drivers joining the southbound A1(M) from the junction 9 roundabout. We thank drivers for their patience while we carry out these essential investigations.”
Traffic travelling from Letchworth GC to join the A1(M) southbound will be diverted on to the A505 eastbound to the next roundabout, where it can then head back towards the A1(M) and join it from the A505 slip road.
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 4 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 5 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 6 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Drugs, weapons and cash recovered as man arrested in Beds village
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 Have your say on parking restriction plans
The closure follows repeated concerns about the left turning into Letchworth GC after exiting the northbound A1(M) junction 9, with police labelling the design as “flawed”.