Letchworth and Baldock roadworks set to be sped up following review of working schedule
- Credit: Archant
Highways England has reviewed its working schedule for the A1(M) bridges that connect Letchworth and Baldock, and have decided that changes will be made.
Currently, Norton Road in Baldock and Baldock Lane in Letchworth are both closed for the much needed repairs to be done. These roads were both scheduled to be closed until April 21.
Now, Highways England has now decided to carry out the work on both roads separately, with hopes that the change will reduce the length of time for both bridges to be repaired.
A Highways spokesman said: “Following a review of working methodology we have changed our sequence of working on both Norton Road and Baldock Lane over the A1(M) near Letchworth.
“This will enable us to reopen Baldock Lane bridge to traffic and pedestrians until after Easter. Having completed some preparatory works, the bridge will open later this week.
“We will be closing Baldock Lane bridge again to carry out the bearing replacement and waterproofing works, but this will significantly reduce the timescales where both bridges are closed at the same time.”
The £550,000 work includes replacement of expansion joints on the 53-year-old bridges, and the addition of a new waterproof layer on the roads running over them which will prevent future damage.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 3 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 4 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 5 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 6 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 7 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 10 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
Up to 900 vehicles a day cross Baldock Lane, with the two bridges providing an important link for the 33,600 residents of Letchworth to head east over the A1(M), and similarly for the 10,300 Baldock residents to be able to cross west.
The new provisional completion date is April 17, subject to weather and working conditions.