Lorry shedding load in Hitchin still causing traffic delays
- Credit: Archant
A road closure related to a lorry shedding its load in Hitchin is continuing to cause delays this evening – with a cordon put up due to reports of an associated gas leak.
Heavy machinery fell from a lorry in Grove Road at 1.50pm, with the road closed between the junction of Woolgrove Road to the junction of Bury Mead.
Traffic in the area is still heavy at this time.
Herts Fire and Rescue Service also received reports of a gas leak caused by damage from the earlier incident.
One engine from Hitchin attended, with crews liasing with police to establish a safety cordon.
UPDATE: Following a visit from the gas board, the area was considered safe by 7.45pm.
- 1 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 2 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 3 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 4 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 5 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 8 Enter Shikari to play Club 85 gig in Hitchin as part of The National Lottery’s Revive Live Tour
- 9 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week
- 10 Vegan market returns for final 2021 trade with festive twist