Head-on collision shuts road as crowds head to Hitchin for Christmas lights event
- Credit: Archant
Motorists gridlocked around Three Moorhens roundabout as big switch on goes ahead
Workers heading home and revellers making their way to Hitchin town centre this evening were caught in gridlock as police tried to clear the scene of a head-on collision between two cars on one of the town’s busiest junctions.
Hitchin Hill was closed after the collison just outside the Three Moorhens pub.
There were no indications of injuries to either driver as the scene was cleared.
But reports from the scene at 7pm, the scheduled time of the big switch on in Market place, described traffic as a nightmare.
You may also want to watch:
Elswhere, crews from Hitchin fire station were called to tackle a fire on a bus at Offley.
All the passengers were safely evacuated by the time the firefighters arrived. They used hosereels to quell the blaze.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 10 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie