GALLERY: Houses and roads affected by widespread flooding across Hertfordshire
- Credit: Archant
Motorists have got stuck, houses flooded and roads closed after widespread flooding overnight and this morning (Friday).
More than a dozen incidents have been reported to police since the early hours after heavy rain. Here is a log of the major incidents reported to police:
• 2.22am: Road flooded “higher than the kerb” at Letchworth Gate roundabout off junction 9 of the A1(M) due to a problem with blocked gulleys.
• 4.50am: Cars stuck on Gresley Way in Stevenage due to floodinh near to the junction with Woodcock Road.
• 5.11am: Large tree partially blocking London Road in Stevenage (becoming Stevenage Road) between Old Knebworth Lane and Deards End Lane, Knebworth.
You may also want to watch:
• 5.25am: Flooding at Martins Way, Stevenage, under the North Road bridge heading away from the town centre.
• 5.27am: Three cars recovered from A507 on Clothall Road near Baldock. The road is temporarily closed.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
• 5.41am: Collision involving a car and a motorbike, closing Gresley Way in Stevenage.
• 5.57am: A602 Broadhall Way, Stevenage, flooded as you exit the town
• 6.17am: A602 at Hooks Cross, just south of Stevenage, closed due to flooding.
• 6.59am: Car stuck in flooding in Gipsy Lane, Knebworth, between Park Lane and Orchard Way.
• 7.15am: Stevenage Road and Priory Lane in Little Wymondley closed due to flooding with water getting into three houses.
• 7.56am: A “small landslide” being reported 500 yards after the Strathmore Arms on the B651 Codicote Road, Whitwell, with the road under 4ft of water.
• 8.23am: Vehicle stuck in flooding at Porters End Lane in Kimpton.
• 8.43am: Car stuck in flooding Old Knebworth Lane, Knebworth, with the road closed at the Knebworth end.
Other roads reported to be affected by flooding: A600 Bedford Road, Hitchin; Parsonage Lane, King’s Walden; Tittendell Lane, St Ippolyts; Stevenage Road, Titmore Green; New Road and Holly Bush Lane, Woolmer Green; Church End, Walkern; Burymead, Stevenage.
Trains were also stopped between Stevenage and Hertford North due to flooding on the line at Watton-at-Stone but are now running normally. There are currently delays between Stevenage and London King’s Cross due to flooding at Potters Bar.
UPDATE 2pm: Stevenage Road, Little Wymondley, has reopened.
UPDATE 3.30pm: A602 Hooks Cross and A507 at Cottered both cleared of flooding.
• To view a gallery pictures click on the link at the top right of the page. Tweet us your pictures @thecomet24 or email email@example.com