Fog and ice warning after A1(M) crashes and road closure
- Credit: Archant
FOUR cars have been involved in two crashes on the A1(M) this morning (Monday) while a van ended up on its side after travelling along an “ice rink”.
Police were called at 8.30am to the A1(M) just before junction 9 for Letchworth Gate after three cars collided, with one spinning round before coming to a halt facing the wrong direction.
The accident, on the motorway’s northbound carriageway, involved a black Audi, a grey Skoda Superb and a silver Vauxhall Corsa.
No one was hurt in the crash but police set up a rolling road block from junction 8 for Stevenage while the vehicles were recovered.
Fifteen minutes later police were called to the bottom of the northbound entry slip road at junction 10 after a crash involving a blue Mercedes SL500. No one was hurt.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesman said: “We do think the weather played a part as it was very foggy around that stretch of road this morning. We ask drivers to keep a good distance and to drive at a speed suitable to the conditions.”
Earlier, police were also called to Watton Road between Stevenage and Knebworth after a white Citreon van slid on black ice and landed on its side.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
Officers were told the road, which was shut in both direction from 6.40am until just after 8am while the van was recovered and the road gritted, was “like an ice rink” by a witness.
The van driver did not require hospital treatment.