First Capital Connect warn passengers of disruption to Hertfordshire rail services ahead of severe weather
- Credit: Archant
Rail operators have warned passengers to expect disruption to services due to severe weather conditions in the run-up to Christmas Day.
First Capital Connect are advising customers to only travel today (Monday) and tomorrow (Tuesday) if their journey is necessary.
A spokesman for First Capital Connect said: “Severe weather is expected to impact our network over the coming days. Winds of 70 mph are expected from 4pm Monday to 10am Tuesday and trains will be running at reduced speed to reduce the safety risk associated with trees and other debris being blown on to the railway lines.
“We will be running a reduced service on the Great Northern route all day. While First Capital Connect and Network Rail will do everything possible to maintain a service on all routes, the forecast high winds can be expected to lead to further disruption and services are expected to finish earlier.
“We plan to run a full service on the Thameslink route until approximately midday. After this time a reduced service will operate on the Bedford to Brighton route. Delays can be expected on all routes as Network Rail may instruct us to operate at a reduced speed to reduce the risk of trees and other debris being blown onto the railway lines. Services are also expected to finish earlier.”
You may also want to watch:
Evening peak restrictions will be lifted on both the Great Northern and Thameslink routes.
First Capital Connect released a statement apologising for the disruption: “We are very sorry for the expected disruption to your journey over the next few days. First Capital Connect and Network Rail will do everything possible to minimise the disruption while ensuring safety during the expected severe weather.”
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 6 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 7 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
East Coast trains also issued a statement on Twitter: “Severe weather has been forecast for today and tomorrow. Ticket restrictions are lifted. Please travel earlier in the day if you can.”
More information on the delays can be found at www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk and www.eastcoast.co.uk.