Emergency services called after fire at Stevenage fish and chip shop
- Credit: Archant
Two fire crews from Stevenage put out a chip pan fire at a takeaway in the Old Town last night.
One hose was used to put out the blaze at Salt and Vinegar while staff from other shops in the street were evacuated.
Ian Sharpe, 41, pulled up outside the shop at about 6.25pm and called 999.
He told the Comet: “I saw that the fire was in one of the chip pans, the flames were about a foot high, but within a couple of minutes they were up to the ceiling.
“I called 999 and then told the taxi firm above it and Coral next door.
“There was loads of smoke and the place was black.
“I don’t know how it started, the place has been closed for weeks.”
- 1 Stevenage Major Works: Leaseholders sent final bills
- 2 North Herts deputy council leader Paul Clark passes away from COVID-19
- 3 Trust calls out council for causing 'uncertainty and chaos' by disrupting two-tier conversion
- 4 Prince Philip death joke tweets sparks probe as councillor leaves party
- 5 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 6 Cyclist remains in hospital after collision with bus
- 7 Council leader and competitive figure skater takes to the ice
- 8 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 9 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 10 Downing Street: Our MPs' responses to alleged illegal Christmas party
A spokesman for Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was out by 6.55pm and that the cause was listed as accidental.