Car bursts into flames after hitting tree in Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
A man who witnessed a car crash into a tree outside his house has recalled the moment the driver was dragged to safety as the vehicle burst into flames.
Lee Arthur, of Webb Rise in Stevenage, was in his bedroom at around 9.30am when he saw a silver Vauxhall Astra coming down Archer Road approaching the junction with Webb Rise.
Mr Arthur saw the car, driven by a man hit a tree and burst into flames
He said: “There was an old woman gardening and if the tree hadn’t been there to stop the car it could have been much worse.
“I wasn’t dressed at the time so I just pulled some clothes on and ran out the house. The driver looked in a bad way and with the car on fire a couple of people quickly dragged him out to safety.”
You may also want to watch:
The man was taken to Lister Hospital in Stevenage by ambulance with minor chest injuries and was released the next day.
Police and fire crews also attended the scene that was declared over by 11am.
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 7 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 8 Freedom Day: Events to go ahead but hospitality will be affected, says BID manager
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Survivors Against Domestic Abuse opens 23rd safe space as demand for services rises