Car bursts into flames after hitting tree in Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
A man who witnessed a car crash into a tree outside his house has recalled the moment the driver was dragged to safety as the vehicle burst into flames.
Lee Arthur, of Webb Rise in Stevenage, was in his bedroom at around 9.30am when he saw a silver Vauxhall Astra coming down Archer Road approaching the junction with Webb Rise.
Mr Arthur saw the car, driven by a man hit a tree and burst into flames
He said: “There was an old woman gardening and if the tree hadn’t been there to stop the car it could have been much worse.
“I wasn’t dressed at the time so I just pulled some clothes on and ran out the house. The driver looked in a bad way and with the car on fire a couple of people quickly dragged him out to safety.”
The man was taken to Lister Hospital in Stevenage by ambulance with minor chest injuries and was released the next day.
Police and fire crews also attended the scene that was declared over by 11am.
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 2 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 3 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 4 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 5 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 6 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 7 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 8 Anti-spiking campaign launched at Old Town pub
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event