Bridge works close Hitchin main road for three months
WORK begun today (Monday) to repair a bridge in Hitchin, causing a road used as the main route between the town and Letchworth GC to be closed for three months.
Strengthening work is being carried out by Hertfordshire Highways on the Walsworth Bridge on the A505 Cambridge Road, and is expected to last until May 26, weather permitting.
The bridge is completely closed from the roundabout with St Michael’s Road to the entrance to The Millstream pub. Pedestrian access to businesses on the road has been kept.
“We appreciate this seems to be a long job, but there are a number of separate engineering activities which cannot be rushed if we are to complete the project properly and safely,” said Stuart Pile, Herts County Council executive member for highways and transport.
“Some degree of disruption and delay will be inevitable, but this work is essential if we are to keep the bridge safe for drivers and pedestrians.
“The work needs to be carried out while the road is closed for the safety of our workers and all road users. Please allow extra time for any journeys you may make while the work is in progress.”
Have you been affected by the road closures? Email the newsdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 5 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 6 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 7 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 8 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 9 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 10 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening