Biggleswade warehouse fire found to be accidental
- Credit: Archant
The cause of the blaze at Bedfordshire Growers in Biggleswade was accidental, the county’s fire service has concluded today.
An investigation has found the fire on April 19 was started accidentally within a refrigeration unit at the front of a lorry parked adajecent to the main building in Potton Road.
The blaze then spread to the rest of the trailer and to the warehouse building – requiring more than 70 firefighters to attend the scene.
Following the investigation, Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued prevention advice to businesses that regularly receive deliveries.
John Foolkes, group commander and business and commercial safety manager, said: “Those managing warehouses and other distribution centres are urged to ensure that vehicles are not parked adjacent to or close to property as any fires within these could spread to the main buildings.
You may also want to watch:
“Businesses should also not locate refuse bins or any combustibles close to the building. These should be stored some way from any other buildings to avoid the risk of fire spreading from these.
“As a preventative measure businesses should consider fitting an effective sprinkler system to their buildings as these would have suppressed the fire and kept damage to a minimum.”
For further advice, visit bedsfire.com/CommunitySafety/BusinessFireSafety.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 7 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
- 10 Do you recognise these people?