Baldock councillor pushes zebra crossing project after child hit by car
- Credit: Archant
A four-year-old boy was taken to hospital with multiple injuries after being hit by a car in Baldock on Sunday – prompting fresh concerns over the safety of the road.
Police and an ambulance crew attended the scene in South Road at about 8pm, and the Magpas Air Ambulance were also called as a precaution.
The boy was treated for multiple injuries – including one to the head – and taken to Lister Hospital in Stevenage by land ambulance.
Since the incident, calls to have a zebra crossing installed on the road have resurfaced.
Herts County Councillor Michael Muir – who is also district councillor for Letchworth East and Baldock – said that he spent last year’s highways allowance on having the “death trap” road investigated, and that this year he is spending his allowance on having the crossing installed.
You may also want to watch:
He told the Comet: “I’ve been getting a lot of emails about this zebra crossing in the last couple of days.
“All county councillors get £90,000 each year for highways, and last year, I paid for an investigation for putting a zebra crossing, for all the kids that go to school at St John’s RC Primary School in Providence Way.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
- 10 Do you recognise these people?
“Now, I’m paying for a zebra crossing to be installed this financial year, as quite honestly, South Road is a death trap.
“You take your life into your hands to cross that road.
“I have asked the police before for speed cameras there, but to no avail, and really, I’m terribly upset that this accident has happened.”
Mr Muir said that after spending many hours on the phone with Herts County Council’s Highways contractor Ringway, a start date for the work has been confirmed as August 20.
“It will take about a week, so if you allow ten days it will be completed,” He continued.
“This includes the resurfacing either side of the crossing,”
“It’s fantastic news, because it will be ready for the start of the September term, which is exactly what needed to happen.”