Stevenage A602 roadworks completion date put back again
- Credit: Archant
The completion date for roadworks on the A602 between Stevenage and Ware has been put back for a second time.
The works – which include the Hertford Road junction in Stevenage, as well as the Anchor Lane roundabout, Westmill Road and the A10 roundabout on the edge of Ware – are now due to be finished by the end of May.
The original completion date was set for the end of March, but this was put back in February to April 30 – today.
Herts County Council has said the delays have been caused by freezing weather and heavy rain over the winter, as works such as concrete pouring and weather proofing can only be done properly in dry and mild conditions.
A spokesman also said the discovery of asbestos in the existing A10 junction, which had to be removed by specialists, and the need to co-ordinate with water and telecoms companies to avoid more roadworks in the future had contributed too.
You may also want to watch:
Rob Smith, deputy director of environment at the county council, said: “We understand the frustration that motorists feel when delayed by roadworks and it’s obviously disappointing that the project has encountered some set-backs that will delay completion. However the end result will be much needed improvements to this very busy road.
“This scheme, along with further planned improvements at the A119 roundabout and along Ware Road, is part of the council’s commitment to improved highway infrastructure in the county.”
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 10 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
Although the carriageway works will have been completed at the end of May, the new junction at the A602 Hertford Road in Stevenage will not be fully operational until the traffic signals are commissioned in the first week of June.
Other work such as landscaping and the removal of site compounds will continue throughout June.
Further information and details of work schedules, road closures and up to date news can be found on www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/A602.
Questions or concerns regarding these specific works can be answered by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 0300 123 4047.