A1 reopens southbound near Biggleswade – as driver with children in car is arrested on suspicion of being four times alcohol limit
- Credit: Archant
The A1 has now reopened southbound between the two Biggleswade roundabouts after a car involved in a crash was recovered – with a motorist arrested on suspicion of drink-driving.
The southbound carriageway first had a lane closed, then was completely shut for a spell while a vehicle that had left the road was recovered.
The Beds, Cambs and Herts road policing unit tweeted at 4.21pm to say the carriageway had reopened and that the driver, with four children in the car, had been shown to have 143mcg of alcohol in 100ml of breath – more than four times the limit of 35mcg.
Other motorists were quick to make their anger known, with Rob Sherry from Sandy tweeting: “Why do people still think it is acceptable to drink and drive? Angers me so much – such a selfish act. Glad everyone is alive though.”
Nick Deal added: “Disgusting.”
You may also want to watch:
Police have indicated that there are fortunately only minor injuries. The driver has been arrested on suspicion of drink-driving.
Traffic on the Biggleswade stretch of the A1 has returned to normal.
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 3 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 4 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 5 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 6 'COVID can't stop us!' - Zimbabwe school fees raised with garden party after Stevenage Day cancelled
- 7 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 8 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
- 9 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award
- 10 H-Town Almost Unlocked to celebrate 'eclectic mix' of Hitchin retailers