A1(M) to remain shut for several hours after ‘serious’ crash between Welwyn and Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
The A1(M) is expected to be shut for several hours after a serious crash this morning.
The motorway is shut northbound between Junction 6 for Welwyn and Junction 7 for Stevenage following reports of a crash shortly before 6am.
The Beds, Cambs and Herts Road Policing Unit has described the incident as ‘serious’ and said the A1(M) is expected to remain closed for several hours.
A police spokesman added: “It looks like there’s one vehicle which has left the road and had a collision.
“We’ve closed the road northbound and it’s caused significant tailbacks.”
You may also want to watch:
Motorists are being diverted on to the A1000 northbound through Welwyn, joining the B197 and heading through Knebworth and on to Stevenage where you can rejoin the A1(M).
Traffic is said to be heavy along the diverted route and southbound on the A1(M).
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 8 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 9 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 10 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
More to follow.