A1(M) to be shut in both directions overnight for roadworks
- Credit: Archant
A section of the A1(M) will be shut in both directions overnight today and tomorrow while roadworks are carried out.
The work, which is to install two gantries, will start at 10pm tonight until 5am tomorrow morning and will see the motorway shut between Junction 6 for Welwyn and Junction 4 for Hatfield.
The roadworks will then continue tomorrow night from 10pm and are expected to be complete prior to the road reopening at 5am on Thursday morning.
Highways England project manager Mark Saunders said: “This work is necessary to complete the gantry work on the A1(M) and will involve using a crane to lift the gantries into place.
“We’re advising people to allow extra time for their journeys when the closures are taking place, although we’ve deliberately timed the work to be carried out when traffic levels are at their lowest and overnight.”
You may also want to watch:
During the closures traffic will be diverted via the B197, Digswell Hill, and A6129.
- 1 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 2 Lamb dies after livestock worrying offences in villages
- 3 Assault in Baldock leaves man with cracked eye socket
- 4 9 ways to stay safe while enjoying Stevenage town centre
- 5 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 6 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 7 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 8 Stevenage scientist's award for role in new HIV drugs
- 9 Underpass graffiti celebrating Stevenage unveiled
- 10 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?