A1(M) shut after double smash
TWO crashes on the A1(M) within 30 minutes of each other caused the motorway to shut in both directions this morning (Friday).
Emergency services were first called to the northbound carriageway between junction 7 and junction 8 for Stevenage at 11.20am after reports that a car had come off the road and into the embankment.
Ambulance crews from Letchworth GC and Stevenage attended to a man and a girl, who were out of the car on their arrival, after they sustained slight injuries. Neither required hospital treatment.
At 11.43am another crash occurred on the southbound carriageway on the same stretch of motorway, with three vehicles involved.
Ambulance service spokesman Gary Sanderson, who was at the scene, said: “While we were dealing with this incident, three cars collided on the opposite carriageway. Paramedics and fire personnel scramble to their aid and again there were no injuries found.
You may also want to watch:
“The East of England Ambulance Service are urging the public to take care and watch your speed while driving during the adverse weather conditions we are experiencing at the moment.”
The A1(M) was shut while the incidents were ongoing but has since reopened.
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 4 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 5 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 6 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 7 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 8 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 9 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 10 Do you recognise these people?