A1(M) crash between Stevenage and Welwyn: 25-year-old woman died at scene
- Credit: Archant
Police have confirmed that the person who died in Sunday’s crash on the A1(M) between Stevenage and Welwyn was a 25-year-old woman.
A police spokeswoman has also confirmed that the 35-year-old driver of the Vauxhall Corsa involved in the crash is no longer in a critical condition.
At about 4pm, police and the ambulance service were called to the crash involving just the Corsa on the southbound carriageway between junction 7 for Stevenage and junction 6 for Welwyn.
Firefighters from Stevenage, Hitchin, Welwyn Garden City and the Rescue Support Unit from St Albans also attended to release the trapped people.
Sadly, the 25-year-old woman died at the scene.
The driver suffered life-threatening injuries and he was taken to hospital by air ambulance.
However, a police spokeswoman has today (Tuesday, April 18) confirmed that he is now in a serious but stable condition.
- 1 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with lavish launch event
- 2 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 3 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 4 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 5 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 6 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 7 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 8 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 9 Care home excited to open its doors to new residents
- 10 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
Another female passenger in the vehicle was seriously hurt and taken to hospital via land ambulance.
The 22-year-old remains in a serious but stable condition
The road was closed on both carriageways between junctions 6 and 7 for several hours.
•Anyone who saw the crash is asked to call police on the non-emergency number 101.