8pm or 8am? B197 through Knebworth closed all day after order for night work is misunderstood
- Credit: Archant
One of the main roads through Knebworth was closed all day today after contractors began work at 8am rather than 8pm.
Herts County Council arranged for the B197 London Road to be closed from 8pm to 5am so its contractor could complete maintenance works during the night.
But a misunderstanding led the contractor to close the road during the day instead, with confused travellers having to take detours – as buses coming in from Stevenage were forced to turn back.
A county council spokeswoman told this paper this afternoon: “We would like to sincerely apologise to residents for the temporary closure of London Road today, which was arranged to be closed from 8pm to 5am so our contractor could complete some night-time works.
“Due to a regrettable communications error, our contractor closed the road during the day.
You may also want to watch:
“Once we were made aware of this error, we immediately instructed the contractor to leave the site and to reopen the road.
“They will now complete these essential maintenance works at night-time to ensure a minimum amount of disruption on this road.”
- 1 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 2 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 3 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 4 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award
- 5 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 6 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
- 7 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 8 Armed Forces Day 2021: Great day promised with pop-up museum and Spitfire fly-past
- 9 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 10 Stevenage Borough Juniors crowned national champions after tense victory