Trading Standards conclude investigation into raft of complaints about Stevenage’s Peachy Lemon
- Credit: Archant
A Trading Standards investigation into a business following a raft of complaints that online orders had not been received by customers has concluded with no further action to be taken.
Husband and wife Paul and Toni Peebles opened a gift shop called Peachy Lemon in Stevenage’s High Street in 2014.
In August last year, Peachy Lemon opened its ‘head office’ at a unit in Chells Way in Stevenage and the High Street shop was turned into Creation Station - an arts and crafts centre for young children - which has since closed down.
Earlier this year, Hertfordshire Trading Standards launched an investigation into the business following customer complaints that items ordered online had not been received and that attempts at getting a refund had proved unsuccessful.
More than 450 people had signed an online petition calling for BBC1’s Watchdog to get involved, and a Facebook page ‘Peachy Lemon Scam Artists’ had received more than 300 likes and was filled with comments from unhappy customers.
You may also want to watch:
In May, Peachy Lemon was dissolved after the Government’s Companies House struck it off the register for failing to file overdue accounts.
The investigation by Hertfordshire Trading Standards has now concluded, with the decision taken not to prosecute the couple.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 6 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 7 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
Trading Standards officers would need to have found fraudulent action to have taken place for prosecution to be considered.
A spokesman said: “Hertfordshire County Council’s Trading Standards officers have investigated allegations that the business Peachy Lemon Ltd was not fulfilling orders, or fulfilling them in an untimely manner.
“As part of the investigation, officers visited the company, met with its director and have contacted consumers, following up on their complaints.
“Peachy Lemon Ltd is now dissolved.
“Anyone with concerns about the trading practices of businesses should contact Citizens Advice/Trading Standards on 03454 040506.”
Hertfordshire County Council has advised that Peachy Lemon customers who say they have been left out of pocket by the company should also call this number.