Town to buzz with fuzz as Hitchin’s facial hair festival returns
- Credit: Archant
Hitchin’s face fuzz fiesta will be back and bigger than ever next month – and the beard bonanza is for a good cause, too!
After the success of last year’s Hitchin Beard and Moustache Championship, the event returns at The Half Moon pub in Queen Street on Saturday, May 14, staged by town-based male grooming firm The Quintessential Beard.
This year there will be six categories including Full Beard, Partial Beard, Freestyle, Fake Beard, Moustache Waxed, and Moustache Unwaxed, with four pondering pognophiles – beard fans to the uninitiated – acting as judges.
More than 200 people turned out for the last competition and more are expected this time around as interest grows.
This year’s ‘face’ of the event is David Miles, owner of sponsors Total Reclaimed Furniture.
You may also want to watch:
He told the Comet: “Each sponsor has contributed towards a donation to Jackie’s Drop-In Centre, a unique centre for adults with disabilities.”
The Letchworth centre has been raising cash in recent months to finance a move to new premises.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Two jailed for conspiracy to supply cocaine
“We’re really looking forward to this event which is rapidly becoming a popular fixture in the Hitchin social calendar for young and old alike,” added David.
“I hope as many people and families as possible join us and make an afternoon and evening of it.
“We’d also like to say a huge thank you to all our sponsors including Phoenix and Beau Ltd, Capsicana, Rosita Lollipop, Cycledealia and Blain’s Barbershop.”
There will also be an extra beer tent with ales provided from the likes of The Weird Beard Brewery, and a children’s area with face painting.
Certificates, as well as beard and moustache care products, will be awarded to the winner of each category.
Half Moon landlord Howard Phillips said: “Last year’s event was great fun and a huge success – and we’re hoping for even more people and entrants this year around.
“There was a great atmosphere last year, and with the event having an extra category this year we should see some more impressive beards.
“The category I’m looking forward to the most is the Fake Beard.”
You can pre-register via email@example.com or you can pop into the pub and fill in a form. You can also register on the day.