Town's Plan to Ease Transport Problems
IDEAS to solve a town s transport problems have been unveiled. The results of workshops held in February to tackle transport issues in Hitchin has identified the top ten problems in the town and their possible solutions. Congestion, rat-running, lorries
IDEAS to solve a town's transport problems have been unveiled.
The results of workshops held in February to tackle transport issues in Hitchin has identified the top ten problems in the town and their possible solutions.
Congestion, rat-running, lorries on residential streets, poor car parking, lack of cycle routes, pedestrian safety and poor bus and train services were all cited as problems in the town by the transport groups consulted.
Possible solutions to the problems include a bus hub, a relief road to the industrial area, a by-pass, stopping commuters parking in residential streets, increased pedestrianisation, cycle routes and the removal of the one-way system.
You may also want to watch:
The consultation at Hitchin Town Hall was held as part of the ongoing development of a Hitchin Urban Transport Plan.
The full report is available at www.hertsdirect.org/hitchinutp
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 3 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 4 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 5 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 6 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 9 Misogyny as a hate crime 'would get us nowhere'
- 10 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
Overall top ten problems:
1. Congestion - made worse by future housing developments
2. Bus service - unreliable and infrequent
3. Parking - expensive and inadequate
4. Rail - poor station access by public transport and for disabled
5. Cycling - lack of cycleways and storage
6. Through traffic - particularly east-west
7. HGVs - particularly in residential areas
8. Rail and bus links - poor
9. Access to employment area - poor
10. Pedestrianisation - lack of crossings, signage, poorly maintained paths