Town mayor goes back to his Manor
At least one Boro fan was content after leaving Oxford United s Kassam Stadium on Saturday. Simon Speller is aiming to match the Queen s total for official visits during his term as mayor of Stevenage. He was a guest of sponsors Buildbase as Boro visited
At least one Boro fan was content after leaving Oxford United's Kassam Stadium on Saturday.
Simon Speller is aiming to match the Queen's total for official visits during his term as mayor of Stevenage.
He was a guest of sponsors Buildbase as Boro visited Oxford - his 319th event as Stevenage mayor.
It was also a nostalgic occasion as he was a post grad student at Oxford Brookes University in the early 1970s when it was known as Oxford Polytechnic and when Oxford still played at the Manor Ground.
You may also want to watch:
After his marathon 'chain' of appearances, Simon will be cycling from Land's End to John O'Groats in August on behalf of Sue Ryder Care, clocking up 1,203 miles in 14 days.
He said: "Being based at Headington, I remember the old United ground well. It was great to visit the Kassam Stadium in east Oxford and reminds me that I shared a house in the famous Iffley Road."
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 9 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 10 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
Kevin Middleton, Buildbase chief executive, added: "When we heard about Simon's connections with Oxford, we thought he would enjoy the U's home fixture against Stevenage. It also helped his target to match the Queen's official visits during his year in office.