Town hall battle
The fight continues to keep Baldock Town Hall in the hands of the community. The Town Hall Group met with the district council s community facilities manager and the head of financial services to discuss the next step. NHDC has offered us a chance to co
The fight continues to keep Baldock Town Hall in the hands of the community.
The Town Hall Group met with the district council's community facilities manager and the head of financial services to discuss the next step.
"NHDC has offered us a chance to come up with a business plan to show that the town hall can be kept as a community resource, an opportunity that we grabbed with both hands.
"It shows that the Baldock councillors fully support efforts to keep the town hall as a public space, underlined by the fact that NHDC officers from the estates, finance and community sections have been made available to guide us and give us sound advice on the construction of a business plan.
You may also want to watch:
"While creating the plan will be the responsibility of the Town Hall Group, their expertise and contacts will be invaluable and we are very grateful for their help.
"Our next steps will be to consider possible uses for the building and see if there is a market out there for more community space in Baldock as a preliminary to getting the business plan under way.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 6 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 7 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
"The more people who are involved, the less work it will be for each of us and it would be great if keeping the town hall for Baldock could be a real community effort."
The group is appealing for anybody in the town with ideas and expertise, or those who need space for groups or meetings, to contact them via the community centre.