Town fights to preserve common
BIGGLESWADE Town Council has objected to plans for gravel extraction on sites in the town. The town council discussed the Bedfordshire and Luton Mineral Development Plan at a meeting on Tuesday night where three sites – Holme Green, Biggleswade Common and
BIGGLESWADE Town Council has objected to plans for gravel extraction on sites in the town.
The town council discussed the Bedfordshire and Luton Mineral Development Plan at a meeting on Tuesday night where three sites - Holme Green, Biggleswade Common and land on Potton Road - were identified as being among those on a short list.
The three sites are on the final list of eight sites being considered by the county council from its original list of 45 sites.
But Biggleswade Council says it will fight to preserve the sites although a final decision is not expected on the preferred options until November.
You may also want to watch:
"This is the second time in eight or nine years the common has come under threat and we won the fight then and will hopefully win this fight against extraction plans," said Biggleswade mayor Cllr Wendy Smith.
"We are very much against these proposals which we found out about rather late because of a breakdown in communications with the county council.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
"But we are totally against extraction on all the sites and want to preserve our common.
"We will fight these proposals and object very strongly and I am sure local people will support the council.