TOWIE star backs Valentine’s Day road safety campaign
- Credit: Archant
THIS Valentine’s Day a campaign is being launched to encourage youngsters to slow down.
The new road safety campaign called ‘how fast can you stop?’ is backed by Chloe Sims from The Only Way is Essex and actor Matthew Wolfenden from Emmerdale and is aimed at 17 to 24 year olds.
Both celebrities travelled at speeds of 30mph, 35mph and 60mph to show the impact speed had on their braking distances.
Matthew Wolfenden said: “I think the skill is definitely in your personal reactions to what is happening on the road, because there is no skill in driving fast.
“Anyone can drive fast, you stick the pedal to the floor and go. The skill is in stopping and your reactions to stopping and to the cars around you.”
Chief inspector Richard Hann, from the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Roads Policing Unit, added: “If you need to brake at any speed, remember to consider your reaction time as well as the time it will take for your car to actually stop.
“Driving at speed increases thinking distances and braking distances, and if you are driving too close to the car in front, you may not have enough time to stop.”
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 3 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 4 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 5 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 6 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 7 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 10 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes