Top champ’s Hitchin boxing buzz
- Credit: Archant
A former boxing world champion came to Hitchin to present medals to schoolchildren taking part in a skills programme.
John Conteh, who was WBC light heavyweight champion between 1973 and 1974, handed out bronze and silver medals to 13 youngsters on the Box Cleva scheme at the Wayne Armstrong Boxing Gym in Station Approach.
Gym owner Wayne said: “He was such a nice man. He had time for everyone.
“Kids get referred to us with behavioural problems, lack of self esteem, or they may have been bullied, and John had time for them all.
“The kids were buzzing after meeting him!”
You may also want to watch:
For more information or to sponsor the gym, call Wayne on 07919 0186529.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal