Time travel bus to historic market launch
A classic bus will take shoppers back in time on Saturday to the first street market to be held in a High Street for more than 50 years.
The 1950 RT-type green double decker will carry passengers in style from Stevenage bus station to the Old Town to celebrate the launch of a farmers’ market on the High Street.
The event marks the return of a market to the street, which has held a market charter since the middle ages. It moved to the new town in 1961.
The double decker was used in the town during the last years of the Old Town market and features in a picture taken of stall holders in the High Street in 1953.
You can catch the free bus at stop K at the bus station and get dropped off outside The White Lion, opposite the market, from 10am to 2pm.
You may also want to watch:
The market will be held on the second Saturday of every other month, with plans to make it monthly.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round